Don't Be A Hater

The word hate is one that I throw around a little too often I believe. We use it to say that we dislike something, or, worse, someone. Tonight I saw something that I absolutely and completely hate, ignorant people. These guys were nice enough I guess, but when they sat down I realized that I would have a problem. You see, one of the guys had a Nazi t-shirt on, which in and of itself may not be worse than any other piece of clothing someone could wear. It’s the symbolism and the baggage that it carries with it that I hate. This isn’t the first time I have seen this guy in my Applebee’s, I’ve seen him once or twice before, and every other time I’ve seen him he’s worn something similar, a shirt with some form of a swastika on it.
I say all that to say that people are terrible. It’s ridiculous to assume yourself better than someone else based solely on the color of one’s skin. In my humble opinion, the fact that someone is one color or another carries no significance. A person is a person and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of the language they speak, or where they live, or how much money they have, or their sexuality. I don’t want to say it hurts my feelings seeing people that wear their hatred on a t-shirt, but it really does. One of my best friends for the last 13 years is Columbian. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met are Mexican, or Honduran, or Zambian, or from Zimbabwe. And yet this kind of person can wear their hatred of anyone who isn’t the same as they are as a t-shirt in public. I realize that as an American, I have the right to free speech, and this person has the exact same right, but should ignorant people be allowed to express such demeaning ideals in the form of a t-shirt? I don’t think so.

Do I really hate what I say I do? I really do hate peas, and I really do hate mushrooms, and I really do hate ignorant people who think the color of their skin entitles them to anything.

That’s my two cents, take it for what it’s worth ©

3 comments:

Team Parks: Jason and Kristin said...

I cannot deal with unintelligent or ignorant people either. I have commonly deemed them ignorintelligent.

Nineteen Owls Photography said...

Ignorance may be bliss for the people steeped in its stupidity - but for the rest of us its a hassle.
I'd have probably asked him to leave my section...
and then I'd have gotten fired.
Of course I'd use some excuse saying that I'm Jewish or something and that it's abuse for me to have to serve him... yea, something like that.

ps. i like your blog.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.